A year ago on this day, I got my lazy butt on the treadmill in my campus fitness room looking to once again get in shape. I failed many times before, so I wondered what would be so different this time. Well, unlike the previous times, I actually started to notice my body was getting sloppier. That motivated me. So even though I was getting ready to start my spring semester the next day, I set out to lose weight and become a healthier person.
Most of you already know my story, and if you don’t, you can scroll down to read more about it. I’ve changed a lot of the course of one year – physically and mentally. I took note of all of it, though. So listed below are 10 things that I’ve learned in the past year while losing 50 pounds.
1. Like most people, I was a fool when it came to what I was eating. When something usually says: “healthy” or “only 100 calories!”, it’s pretty much a damn lie.
2. Spinach is freaking amazing and I love it. I’m not on my Popeye swag or anything like that, but I really enjoy it in my eggs, salads, sandwiches and power drinks.
3. I am human. I think before this whole thing started, I wanted to be this super-human Jose Canseco type buff guy (obviously not on drugs). I thought I was supposed to never eat certain things ever again for some odd reason and that was dumb. I love fried chicken and grape juice just like everybody else.
4. Greek yogurt will forever be my go-to post-workout snack. I honestly forgot how I discovered it, but it has been my best friend throughout this whole process.
5. People are disgusting as hell. I worked out in many different places over the last year. The most frequent was in the fitness rooms on my campus. There are people who actually sweat bullets and don’t clean up after themselves. And then there are some who share sweaty machines together like it’s cute. If this is love, I don’t ever want to be married.
6. I really do like passing along my knowledge to others and seeing them become physically active. My father is pretty damn old, but there’s a treadmill now in the basement of my folks’ house. My dad is still a bit lost on the eating portion, but he puts that work in the morning. It’s really cool to know that I’ve influenced him and that he asks me for advice on things.
7. My fitness pet peeve is when people refer to my lifestyle as: “that fitness stuff.” It’s not just stuff, and it’s unbelievable to me that some view it that way. This is how I live my life.
8. My bank account is very appreciative of my healthy lifestyle.
9. There are so many people out here who claim to be about this life but really aren’t. Like the people who hit the weights hard, but turn up every weekend and eat McDonalds for dinner.
10. I can fit skinny jeans now, but there’s no way I’ll ever wear them. Period.
Behind the Broadcaster
This blog displays topics that interest me -- including culture, entertainment, music, and life experiences.